Pages

Sunday 2 November 2014

Masterpiece


Recently I was asked to write and illustrate an article to appear on Tearfund's Rhythms website. Tearfund is an amazing charity, helping thousands around the world. Rhythms is a community page, filled with articles and challenges aiming to help change the world for the better.

I was asked to write on the recent Living Planet Report, which found that animal populations worldwide had fallen by a staggering 52%. You can view and read my article here.

It was a fun assignment. I haven't written anything like this since my days at university. I forgot what a drag referencing is; students, you have my sympathy.


To complete the illustrations I needed a trip to the local zoo to draw some animals. It's quite hard to find an animal that will stay still long enough for you to draw them!

It was good to see lots of healthy animals, even if they didn't look too excited about their cages. I am not a fan of penning animals in. I keep my horses out all year round, rather than in stables (don't worry they have really warm rugs and a shelter to use at their leisure) because I hate to see them standing around and waiting. I struggle with the idea of cheetah's, the fastest sprinter on earth, being kept in a 30 metre enclosure. And don't get my started on keeping marine animals like killer whales in tiny swimming pools. Yes I have seen Blackfish.

Shout out to Will for accompanying me on my drawing trip and putting up with staring endlessly at lions and snow leopards. And thankfully, neither of us got weed on by the tiger.


Make sure you check out the Rhythms page. The mobile app is also really good. It's a great and simple way to remind yourself to do more good throughout your day.

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. 
- Ephesians 2:10

No comments:

Post a Comment