Pages

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Restrictions of Renting


Follow the jump for more pictures and the story behind them.



To say that I have the master bedroom in this house is an understatement. It is enormous. The first week of living here I woke up and panicked because it felt like there were no walls around me! It also has fitted wardrobes, two windows plus the doors onto the sunroom and an original fireplace, which is sadly blocked over by a radiator. 


This was the room on the day I visited the house before we moved. Although I loved the house I was disappointed by how dirty this room looked (the rest of the house was fine.) So I asked the landlord if I could paint it, assuming I'd only be able to give it a fresh coat of white. Not only did he say yes, but he said I could paint it any colour I liked, within reason. So a rich sapphire blue was out (I'll save that one for the new build) but a paler colour was on the cards. A big shout out to Sarah who not only moved car loads of boxes with me but also invested an afternoon in painting with me.


The fireplace also got a revamp, because it looked like it had been painted by a sea urchin. The ceiling could do with a freshen up, but it's just that bit too far for the short time I'll be living there.

I'm limited as to what I can do. The walls are made of hessian (yes, really, painting them was interesting), and can't have anything nailed into them. But thankfully we have picture rails so I have been able to hang some artwork, and some DIY jam jar vases I made with ribbon. The top photo shows a painting that was my great great aunts, which I am so fond of but have no idea who the artist was. If anyone recognises it, let me know!


Also, as we are only here for a year, there's no point sinking a lot of money into this property. So I've been investing in a few pieces, such as the bookcase and writing desk, that I can see in the new house too. I've been on some cross country adventures to pick these pieces up!

I am so thankful to be able to live in this place for a year, it is beautiful. Every window looks out onto trees and fields, and you can always hear birdsong. It is going to be, however, very hard to leave this room when the time comes!



Follow Hannah's board Rental Room on Pinterest.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I am listening to the birds and admiring the views right now!

    ReplyDelete