Pages

Monday 7 November 2011

Worship

'When he saw Jesus a long way off, he ran and bowed in worship before him—then bellowed in protest, "What business do you have, Jesus, Son of the High God, messing with me? I swear to God, don't give me a hard time!"'
Mark 5: 6-8 (The Message)

I was asked to do an art response for the new youth service that's been set up in my town. My friend, Duane, was preaching and he was talking on Mark 5: 1-20. His talk focused on the barriers that we can build about ourselves; hatred, unforgiveness, etc. They made me think of an empty, barren land, dead and dry. But I didn't want to leave the painting on a depressing note (this is a service for young people after all, and they have enough depressing stuff going on without me adding to it!) so I painted a wall being broken down by life and colour.

For a first attempt at a worship piece, and considering I had only an hour, little preparation and was not using my own paints I'm quite proud of the result. Okay, it's a little bit cliche, but it was quite a challenging theme to illustrate. I can't take all the credit for it though, and I want to say a huge thank you to Chantelle and Kate who painted the sky, and cracked the earth, and let me boss them around in general (in fact, they actually did most of the work if I'm honest.) You two are absolute stars. And thank you again to Chantelle for the photo (because I forgot to take any!)

You can find Transform on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment